Sunday, July 19, 2015

Korean Inspired Strawberry and Tofu Lollies


I haven't been able to blog for a while and as a result I have accumulated a lot of recipes to share and remember. I am hoping to be able to do it soon!

In the meantime randomly caught a tweet by @Kavey  about the Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream (BSFIC) challenge this July and thought I could contribute.



 Kavey suggested I do something with Korean influence so I thought of a summer fruit and tofu ice cream.

I have done a strawberry and tofu mousse before and really like the texture tofu gives - it is very rich and dense without the heaviness that comes with cow's milk. It is also quite solid without needing any additives as gelatin.

So I guessed it would make a nice lolly and was right.

To spice up the taste I decided to try a soy sauce and orange juice reduction for drizzling.
Well, the taste was interesting and the texture was good. It had a striking complement to the sweetness of the lollies, but I understand the combination of fragrant salted taste and rich sweet would rather not be everyone's cup of tea.

Despite the sweetness and aroma of the orange (and the 1 tsp sugar) the salt was predominant in the taste. The reduction would work nicely with fish or meat though.




Strawberry and Tofu Lollies


Products:

for the lollies

200 g fresh strawberries
375 g firm tofu
4 tbsp sugar
100 ml double cream


for the soy sauce reduction

1/2 navel orange - the juice and part of the zest 
30 ml soy sauce
1 tsp sugar


Method:

Combine all the ingredients (reserving 8-10 small strawberries) for the ice cream in a blender and blend until smooth.
Finally add the strawberries and blend coarsely so you can have parts inside the ice cream.
Fill in the moulds and freeze for at least 2 hours.

The soy sauce reduction:

In a pan place the soy sauce and the freshly squeezed juice of the orange. Add 1 tsp grated zest. 
Let simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes, then add the sugar and simmer again for 10 minutes or so very carefully so the sauce thickens but doesn't burn.

And finally, eat! (With or without the soy sauce!)






3 comments:

Kavey said...

Oh my goodness, you did it, sooo impressed! Would never have thought of tofu in the mix but actually can imagine it's brilliant. I love mitarashi dango so I think I'd love the glaze too!

kellie@foodtoglow said...

What a crazy-good idea! We love Korean food but I've never thought to do any desserts or treats to compliment the meal. This looks terrific. :-) PS I "found you" via Kavey.

Sneige said...

Thank you so much Kellie! I was also surprised to find out how good tofu worked in a frozen dessert! Kids adored it. Will definitely make it again!

Pin It button on image hover