Saturday, September 03, 2011

Whole Plums and Walnuts Jam

Delicious food does not always have to be complicated to be tasty. The simple but pure taste of fresh fruit makes the difference.

This whole fruit jam is so easy to prepare it does't need to be preserved for longer, can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for a week and makes fresh jam for breakfast.

The best thing when using plums is that they are naturally sweet, so don't need too much added sugar, and they are naturally tangy - so neither do they need added souring agent.

Add walnuts for crunchy texture.

or on their own

Products:
Yields 600 g jam

1.5 kg Victoria plums
6 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup raw walnuts

Victoria plums
Method:

Wash the fruit, cut in half and stone. Arrange half the plums on the bottom of an oven dish and cover with half the sugar and half the walnuts. Cover with the  rest of plums rest of sugar and walnuts.
Bake in 180C oven for about 2-3 hours until the juices are thick enough.
Put in airtight jars/containers hold in a fridge and use within a week.

As breakfast for example.

for breakfast

plums jam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole season taht you have this type of plums I have to repeat tehm..we can find those only only very rarely.There seem to be a grower in the South island that grows teh(Romanian guy) and I am trying to get some seedlings of him to plant it in my garden.Because I love all plum things.
With your jama..do the walnuts in it get somewhat bitter?

Sneige said...

They are not very common here either, but still can be found and I am very happy! Nothing beats the fresh jam of whole sweet plums with a walnut kernels! Ah, the sweet life! I am going to have some for breakfast :)
No the walnuts are not bitter, after the roasting in the ove they are crunchy but because being inside the jam which is liquid, are crunchy and mellow in the same time (if that is possible!).
Good luck with finding this plum tree! Can't you look for the trees in some online gardening/growing website?

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds outstanding. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've taken some extra time to browse through some of your earlier posts. I'm glad I did that. I really like t he food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Teesra said...

Looks yummy, gotta prepare this sometime and see how it tastes. Thanks for posting.

Sylvia said...

I totally agree with you, pure and simple tastes are always the best. I can´t wait for summer and the first plums for try it

Pin It button on image hover